Select your status

Below, we’ve gathered some helpful resident resources and quick responses to any questions you might have. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us at the main office.

    Air Force Privatization Program

  • What is the Air Force Privatization Program?

    • The Air Force Privatization Program is a government initiative which allows services to attract private capital to improve military housing

  • How does privatization affect the service that military members receive?

    • Kirtland Family Housing draws upon their private sector experience to provide first-rate services and amenities to our military families. We pride ourselves in our dedication to our residents; we consistently meet and exceed their needs and expectations.

  • Assignments

  • If I clear housing before deployment, do I have priority on the wait list when I return?

    • No, the date you reapply for housing is your new eligibility date. But as an Active-Duty military member, you qualify for first-priority along with all other Active-Duty military applying.

  • If I currently live in housing on base, do I need any additional information regarding my deployment?

    • Yes, leave a point of contact with our management office; we may need to contact you regarding your allotment.

  • If I am a single parent and am deployed, can I appoint someone to occupy my home to take care of my children?

    • Yes. You must submit an Exception to Occupancy document with point of contact information, a copy of the Special Power of Attorney, and temporary guardianship paperwork designating your appointee as guardian of your child or children. Your first sergeant can help you with this process.

  • What if I am deployed and my family wants to visit for an extended period of time?

    • The spouse of the service member must submit a completed Point of Contact form to our management office, where he or she may also leave a key in a sealed envelope for emergency purposes.

  • What do I do if my allotment for BAH has stopped for any reason?

    • If this occurs, contact our management office at 505-232-2049. If you are still a resident of our community, the allotment will automatically start back up the next month, however, your past due rent is due immediately. Payment must be made at our office.

  • What if I decide to move off base before or during my deployment?

    • We require written documentation of your deployment status stating you will deployed for more than 90 days as well as a 30-day written notice given by completing Intent to Vacate paperwork in our office. If the service member is not available, the spouse will need a Power of Attorney to complete the necessary documentation. We understand that a family may wish to move during this time.

  • What are the requirements for vacating quarters?

    • A 30-day written notice is required before vacating quarters in the form of Intent to Vacate paperwork to be completed in our office; notice should be given as soon as you are aware of your moving status. In the case of deployment, PCS, etc. contact our office as soon as you are notified; we will assist you in the departure process.

  • What happens if my name is called on the wait list and I am deployed?

    • Make sure to include a contact number for your spouse on your initial application; he or she is able to accept an assignment, but will need a Special Power of Attorney to sign for the lease and start BAH allotment and prorated rent.

  • What is the process for the waiting list?

    • You may apply for housing as soon as you receive notice of your transfer to Kirtland. The date in which you are eligible to receive an address for a home is 30 days prior to your arrival date, no matter how early you apply. If housing is not available you may request placement on our wait list according to your grade and the number of bedrooms for which you qualify. We will refer units as they become available. Please remember when checking your position on the wait list that it may be outdated as it does not update regularly. Don't hesitate to call our office at 505-232-2049 if you have any questions.

  • How will the Assignment process work?

    • You can complete an online application here. A referral certificate from the base Housing Management Office is required for every applicant BEFORE housing is assigned to Other Eligible Tenants, and before signing the lease for Active-Duty military members.

  • Can a family be moved from a three bedroom to a two bedroom if they only have one child?

    • No, we do not downgrade our residents.

  • What happens if my family size increases, or if medical problems necessitate a move?

    • Contact the management office to make an Inter Base Move (IBM) request for a larger unit. You may be placed on a wait list if a larger unit is not available. Please be aware, the service member is responsible for the expenses incurred for this type of move.

  • How do I know which neighborhood I want, or which type of house I get?

    • The Villages are assigned according to rank. Residents may also decide to live in Pershing Park or Maxwell Place, which accepts all ranks. Floor plans for each of these options are available on the website and can be searched for by rank. For more information, don't hesitate to contact our office at (505) 232-2049.

  • Leasing

  • What if I receive orders to PCS or TDY for more than 30 days?

    • You are allowed to break your lease if you provide a 30-day written notice to vacate and a copy of the orders. Contact our office as soon as you receive orders; we will assist you in the departure process.

  • What if I receive immediate orders and am not able to provide thirty (30) days notice?

    • If you receive short orders, then the 30 day requirement may be waived. Short orders pertain to receiving initial notification without sufficient time to fulfill the required notification process. We accept any form of documentation regarding your reassignment to start the notice process so please contact our office as soon as you are notified.

  • Do I have to sign a lease?

    • Yes, all residents are required to sign a lease to protect themselves as well as Kirtland Family Housing.

  • What if I decide to break my lease for other reasons, prior to the one-year expiration?

    • If you move out before your lease expires, you are responsible for one month's rent penalty, plus the 30-days notice.

  • What happens if I get divorced?

    • A divorce constitutes a change in eligibility; the service member/family must contact the leasing office to make arrangements. In many cases, the service member may remain in on-base housing, and even in the family home if desired.

  • How will I sign the lease if the military member is deployed or on an unaccompanied tour?

    • Your spouse can sign the lease in your absence if he or she has the Power of Attorney. Otherwise, contact the Kirtland Family Housing Office for further assistance.

  • Can you tell me more about the lease?

    • The lease is a standard resident agreement used by all privatized military housing and civilian rental properties. Residents are required to sign a lease in order to reside in housing. The lease specifies the rights and responsibilities of resident and Owner. The lease also sets the service member's BAH or market rent as the monthly payment to Kirtland Family Housing.

  • If I earn a promotion during the lease period can I move to another base house commensurate with the new rank?

    • Yes, a service member can request a move based on an increase in rank. The move is subject to housing availability and it will be at the service member's expense. Rent will be increased to match the increased BAH if residing in a home for the new rank. The service member may also elect to remain in the home, agreeing to a buy-down, and save the difference in rent and the new BAH.

  • If I am demoted during the lease period is my rent adjusted to my BAH?

    • In the event of a demotion, you must notify the management office in writing. Such situations are assessed on a case by case basis; please contact our office to review your specific situation.

  • Who do I contact about leasing?

    • Please call our leasing office at 505-232-2049.

  • Can unaccompanied military live at Kirtland Family Housing?

    • YES! Unaccompanied military members can absolutely live on base .  Right now because of limited availability, the BAH rate for the unaccompanied military member is still charged the "with dependent rate". Rates are subject to change. Please call the leasing office at 505-232-2049 to find out more.

  • Can National Guard, Reserves, or those on TDY status live at Kirtland Family Housing?

    • Yes! We welcome all military at KFH. Contact the leasing office at 505-232-2049 to find out more.

  • Can Federal Employees, Military Retirees, Sandia Contractors, Veterans or DoD retirees live at Kirtland Family Housing?

    • We welcome everyone who is both military and former military along with other base personnel in our Maxwell Place homes and select houses on Kirtland, assuming occupancy allows. Call directly at 505-255-1188 or 505-232-2049 to find out more!

  • Maintenance

  • Is there a maintenance program?

    • Kirtland Family Housing has on-site professional maintenance personnel to provide responsive care for every home. Residents are asked to leave home repairs to these professionals by calling in a service request or contacting the maintenance department online.

  • Who will be doing service requests for the privatized quarters, and will residents be charged?

    • Kirtland Family Housing maintenance staff will perform all service requests at no charge--unless the problem is a result of negligence or inappropriate action(s) by the resident.

  • Whom do I contact with maintenance issue concerns?

    • Contact the Kirtland Family Housing Maintenance Office online for your routine work orders or call our office at (505) 232-2049 and someone will gladly assist you.

  • How do I make a maintenance request?

    • Call (844)-887-6838 to place after hours emergency work orders.  You can also submit routine maintenance services by clicking here on our website.

  • Will garbage be picked up?

    • Yes, trash and recycling collection services are handled by Kirtland Family Housing at no additional cost to residents. Recycling pick-up is every Monday. Trash pickup for Villages 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 is every Friday. Trash pickup for Villages 5, 6, Pershing, and Maxwell is every Thursday.

  • Miscellaneous Questions

  • Are RVs and Boats permitted in Privatized Housing?

    • Parking of Recreational Vehicles (RVs, boats, trailers, etc.) is generally not allowed within family housing. Two exceptions apply: one, if the vehicle is parked in your garage; or two, for the purpose of loading and unloading. In this case, parking is limited to 24 hours and the vehicle must not obstruct traffic. Residents may park their recreational vehicles in the lot provided by Outdoor Recreation at 505-846-1499.

  • What is the policy regarding satellite dishes?


      Satellites dishes are allowed, though you must comply with the follow requirements when installing any satellite dish or related equipment within the boundaries of Kirtland Family Housing. If you do not do so, the installation will not be approved, resulting in removal or correction of any and all deficiencies noted. Non-compliance may result in the company being barred from future installations.


      1. Dish installation may ONLY be on an approved post or weighted stand.
          A. Installation is NOT permitted on any parking area, roof, roof eave, roof overhang, exterior wall, window, window sill,
              fence, common area, or front yard.
          B. Installation is NOT to interfere with KFH cable, telephone, or electrical systems, or those of neighboring premises or
          C. Installation is NOT to be connected to KFH telecommunication systems, or KFH electrical system except by plugging
              into a 110-volt duplex receptacle.

      2. Only one (1) dish per household is allowed, maximum diameter not to exceed 39 inches.

      3. KFH residences are pre-wired for cable. You may not alter or damage the premises by drilling through walls, door jams, window sills, etc. The dish shall only be connected at the exterior connection site (cable box) provided.

      4. Cables from the dish to the exterior connection may not “lay” on the ground, be strung across open areas, attached to fences, run across roof areas, etc. Cables MUST be buried not less than 3” deep, from directly under the dish to the side of the structure at the exterior connection site (cable box). This is the ONLY approved method of installation.




  • What is the policy regarding sheds?

    • Sheds are allowed with prior written approval from management.

  • What is the policy regarding trampolines?

    • Trampolines are allowed only in fenced rear yards; they must be properly secured to the ground and have a safety net approved by management.

  • Payments

  • How will BAH work for dual-military families?

    • Both members receive BAH; the senior member receives the with-dependent rate, while the junior member receives the without-dependent rate. Under current Department of Defense rules, only the senior member's BAH at the with-dependent rate is used to calculate rent due. The family may keep the BAH of the junior member.

  • What does my rent include? .

    • Rent includes all normal monthly expenses for your home except electric and gas utilities. Electric and gas are provided at a discounted rate and are part of the utility allowance, or are billed directly if the resident is TDY, unaccompanied, civilian, or lives in Pershing Park (in a home with an evaporative cooler) or Maxwell Place.

  • If my rent is late, do I need to pay a late fee?

    • Rent is due on the first through the 5th of the month. A late fee charge of 10%, starting on the 6th day, is applied for all late payments.

  • How much is my rent?

    • Your rent is the BAH rate in which you receive. BAH is based on rank and area of assignment, not on the size of the home. Pershing Park (those homes with evaporative coolers) and Maxwell Place are priced at market value.

  • What happens if I receive a promotion or demotion?

    • Rent increases for a promotion and decreases for a demotion. Your rent is always the amount of the BAH for area of rank. If you promote out of your area of rank, you can apply for a "buy down" or "buy up" request. You must notify the office at 505-232-2049 and sign a new lease to lock in the rate.

  • What is the eviction policy?

    • Residents may be evicted for non-payment, egregious acts, or failure to follow Community Rules & Regulations. The Command will be involved in all eviction proceedings.

  • Is BAH counted as income? Specifically, will it affect the cost of children's day care?

    • BAH is an entitlement and is not counted as taxable income, it is, however, included in gross income. Programs based on an individual's gross income may be affected

  • Who is responsible for answering our payment questions?

    • You may direct these questions to the Community Manager, Veronica Lopez. Simply call our office at (505) 232-2049 and ask to speak with her.

  • The current year BAH amount for my grade and ZIP Code is less than I was getting last year-am I going to lose money?

    • No. BAH rate protection will keep individuals from having reductions in housing allowances as long as they maintain "uninterrupted eligibility" for BAH. If you maintain your duty assignment station, your rank, and your family status, you will always receive the higher BAH amount. Questions can be directed to Housing Management at 505-846-8217.

  • Can I ever lose rate protection?

    • A change in your duty assignment station, your rank, or your family status "interrupts your eligibility" for the allowance. If you are promoted or demoted your BAH will adjust as your rate protection changes for your new rank. If your dependency status changes, your housing allowance will be adjust to the new status and the applicable current BAH rate.

  • Will rent be prorated if I move out other than the last day of the month?

    • Yes, rent is charged only for the days you occupy the home.

  • How will I pay rent?

    • If you are Active Duty, live in a Village home of your rank, and have PCS-ed to KAFB, your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) pays for your rent. Your BAH appears on your LES as an entitlement and as a payment to Kirtland Family Housing. BAH is considered payment by Allotment, which is beneficial to service members as it does not require a Security Deposit for housing and all rent is due in arrears. For example, January rent is received on February 1st. Those who live in Pershing, Maxwell, are TDY or unaccompanied pay the market price. Rent is due by check or money order at the first of the month, or by visiting

  • How does military housing privatization affect a service member's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?

    • Privatization has not changed the BAH amount, it simply allows service members living in privatized military housing to receive a BAH to pay a privatized housing provider. At Kirtland Family Housing a monthly allotment payment from the service member's BAH is automatically transferred to us at the end of each month. This process is performed and monitored by Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military and civil service employees.

  • How will foreign students pay their rent since they do not receive BAH and cannot utilize paying by allotment?

    • Foreign students will pay rent monthly by check or money order; made payable to Kirtland Family Housing LLC.

  • Please explain more about the BAH entitlement and rent allotment.

    • A service member's BAH is based on the cost of similar rental property near the base, typical utilities, his or her rank, and the typical cost of Renter's Insurance. An allotment from the service member's account is set up upon lease signing to pay rent to Kirtland Family Housing.

  • Pets

  • Is there a pet policy?

    • Residents are required to include a "Pet Addendum" with their lease. Pets are limited to two (2) walking pets. Exotic pets are not permitted. Also NOT permitted are the following dog breeds as listed in the AFI: Alaskan Malamutes, Doberman Pinscher, Pit Bull, Presa Canarios, Rottweiler, American Staffordshire Terriers, English Stafford Terriers, Bull Terriers, Chow Chow, Akitas, Great Danes, Mastiffs, Wolf Hybrids, or any other breed with dominant traits geared toward aggression. Pets must be spayed/neutered and microchipped. They must also all be registered with the on-base veterinarian, which can be reached at 505-846-4276.

  • Utilities

  • Will I have to pay utilities?

    • The Utility Allowance (UA) portion of your BAH will cover all or part of your electric and gas utilities, depending on your family's total usage. You may have to pay the difference if you utility expenses exceed your allowance. All other utilities are covered by Kirtland Family Housing, which includes trash and recycling collection and water and sewer services. Those living in Pershing, Maxwell, or are living in Village homes as TDY or Unaccompanied status will be responsible for gas and electric, which is charged at a discounted rate.